Cruz wants big raise

Cruz wants big raise
Cruz wants big raise, New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz wants a big pay raise, but owner John Mara said those demands will not be met anytime soon, according to the New York Post.

Cruz, who will become a restricted free agent after the 2013 season, wants to be paid like a top receiver. He has performed like one the past two seasons. In 2012, he made 86 catches for 1,092 yards with 10 touchdowns. In 2011, he set the team's single-season receiving record with 1,536 yards.

"I think I have definitely proven myself to be one of the highest compensated receivers in the league," Cruz said. "That's kind of the way that I feel and my team feels, not only on the field, but as well as what I bring to the Giants as a brand and as an activist and person in the community. I think all of that taken into account; I'm definitely not asking for much as far as what's on the table."

The Giants are currently $4.2 million over the 2013 salary cap and 22 players due to become free agents in the offseason. Cruz figures to make at least $10 million per season.

"We certainly want him back, but like with any player, there's a limit to where we're going to go," Mara told NJ.com. "He's been a terrific player for us, he's a fan favorite, he does a lot for our franchise, but there is a limit."

Cruz said he wants to keep playing for the Giants but would not address possibly holding out for more money.

"I definitely want to stay here, that's how I feel," Cruz said. "I can't speak on any other team or how I feel about going to any other team because I'd like to stay here. I have no answer (about potentially holding out)."

The Giants can also place a franchise tag on Cruz that would reportedly pay him the average of the top five wide receiver salaries, but that scenario is not likely.
Follow us on Twitter! Follow us on Twitter!
Get our Latest Updates!