Janeane Garofalo And Russian Transport

 Janeane Garofalo And Russian Transport, She may be best known for her stand-up comedy, political activism and television roles, but starting Jan. 30, Janeane Garofalo will be gracing the stage of The New Group production of “Russian Transport.”


Directed by Scott Elliot and written by Erika Sheffer, “Russian Transport” tells the story of a Russian Jewish immigrant couple, Diana and Misha, who struggle to maintain their car service business.

Garofalo will play the mother, Diana, alongside co-star Daniel Orekes (“Billy Elliot: The Musical, “Miracle worker”) who stars as Misha.

The couple and their two teenage children, Alex and Mira, strive to fulfill the American Dream in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. The family’s happiness is threatened when Diana’s mysterious brother Boris comes to stay with the family and has a heavy influence on the two teens. While Boris is an exciting new addition to the household, Alex becomes entangled in the uncle’s dangerous world.

Although Garofalo has extensive experience in stand-up comedy, television and film, “Russian Transport” is the 47-year-old actress’ first role in an off-Broadway production.

“This is my first official play,” Garofalo told Our Town Downtown. “I have been a fan of The New Group, and I never imagined that I would be asked to participate in something like this. It is both daunting and exciting. I have never had that feeling with my work, being both excited and terrified.”

“Initially, I passed,” she said. “I thought I couldn’t do it, play a Russian immigrant mom who is running a business. I didn’t think I could vacillate between the English with the Russian accent and the Russian dialogue. I met Scott to tell him this and by the end of lunch I had agreed to do it. He talked me into it, but he is one of the greatest directors I have ever worked with. He says all the right things all of the time.”

Garofalo began her career in stand-up comedy in the late 1980s and was part of an alternative comedy scene in Los Angeles in the early 1990s. She performed in New York throughout the late 1990s and early 200s.
Follow us on Twitter! Follow us on Twitter!
Get our Latest Updates!