Four-month-old baby 'dies of overdose

A baby girl died of an overdose after her mother was given the wrong prescription, an inquest has heard.

Four-month-old Abbie Jones received ten times the dose she was meant to have after her mother Maxine Winfield, 30, was supplied with a wrongly-labelled medicine bottle.

Ms Winfield unwittingly gave the baby at least two doses of the medicine and the baby received another two doses in hospital before the mistake was realised.

The child, who was born with Down's syndrome and a hole-in-the-heart, became seriously ill and was admitted to Sheffield Children's Hospital suffering from dehydration and septic shock on May 1, 2006, but died on June 3.

Follow us on Twitter! Follow us on Twitter!
Get our Latest Updates!