Hushovd surprises even himself with yellow jersey

Hushovd surprises even himself with yellow jersey
Hushovd surprises even himself with yellow jersey. World Champion Thor Hushovd of Norway surprised a lot of Tour de France watchers by finishing Saturday’s tough uphill finish alongside favorites like Cadel Evans, Andy Schleck and Alberto Contador.

The Norwegian says in fact he surprised himself.

“After the stage yesterday I didn’t believe I could stay in yellow after this stage,” said Hushovd, a two-time winner of the Tour’s green jersey and long considered more of a sprinter than a climber. “But I also said I’d do everything I can to defend the jersey.”

“Of course it gave me motivation having this yellow jersey on my back,” the 33-year-old Hushovd said after the stage ended in the 1,275 meter-high ski resort of Super-Besse.

Hushovd said that his Garmin-Cervelo teammate Schleck also gave him some extra motivation Saturday morning before the stage start in Aigurande. “This morning I was a little pessimistic. I knew the stage was hard and I didn’t think, I could do it. Andy came to me and said he believed in me.”

Hushovd started the day with only a one second lead over Evans and four seconds over Leopard-Trek rider Frank Schleck. Both those riders are considered much better climbers than Hushovd, whose 1.83-meter and 83-kilogram frame isn’t exactly made for soaring up mountain roads.

With Saturday’s stage featuring four categorized climbs including the tough Col de la Croix Saint Robert just 25 kilometers from the finish, Hushovd had few illusions about his chances of keeping the jersey for a seventh day.

“If I had lost it I wouldn’t have been disappointed, because I know I gave everything,” Hushovd said.

He said he recognized that he can no longer beat pure spinters like Britain’s Mark Cavendish or U.S. rider Tyler Farrar in a flat sprint, so he’s worked on his climbing legs to help him in stages like Saturday’s.

“I work a lot in the mountains where I live near Monaco, and it pays off,” said Hushovd decked out in his latest yellow jersey.

Source: yahoo
Follow us on Twitter! Follow us on Twitter!
Get our Latest Updates!